Friday, October 29, 2010

34/35 Week Stories

34 weeks and 1 day pregnant story: Blame it on Ellis

In Brad's homecoming post, I forgot to mention that we were pulled over by the police on the interstate on our way home to Brewton on Thursday (10/21) night. We had been behind a "Capitol Police" car for about 30 miles when a black Dodge Charger whizzed by us in the left lane. Brad eased into the left lane and in front of the cop car a few miles later. As soon as we were settled into the right lane, the police car (which Brad swore had no jurisdiction) turned on its blue lights. As we pulled off the road, Brad and I looked at one another to get our story straight. I was all for the "I've got to go to the bathroom" story which is always true these days. Brad, on the other hand, was leaning to a more dramatic route. Brad rolled down the window and the officer said "I bet when you saw that Charger pass me you thought you would do the same thing and get away with it," as he chuckled. Brad quickly apologized to the officer and told him that his wife was 34-35 weeks pregnant and was feeling "something." The officer poked his head through the window to look at me. Keep in mind it was close to 8:30 pm, I had worked a long day, my belly is quite obvious especially when the seat belt emphasizes the rotundness, and I had my left hand on my belly and my right hand up in the air holding the car handle above the door. The officer's face was priceless, apparently I looked like I could spit a baby out right then and there! Guess my whaleness has been good for something! The officer was very kind and asked us twice if we need an escort to Brewton. After he was satisfied that I wasn't about to deliver on the interstate, he hopped in his car and zoomed off-I've never seen an officer pull away that quickly, I don't think he was in the mood to help birth a baby! All weekend I was worried that I would deliver in Brewton, which would have been totally tragic! Fortunately we made it back to Bham safe and sound!

35 weeks and 2 days pregnant story: Donielle vs. the Minivan

Today at work I had several errands to run at lunch. As I hurried to my car, I noticed that a minivan was parked in the spot next to my driver's side in a very tiny spot. I opened my driver's side door as far as it would open and tried to squeeze in. I could not fit! I turned and tried to back in, no luck! I tried to go one leg at a time, no good either. I thought about trying to get in on the passenger side and then straddling the console to make it in the driver's seat, but then quickly changed my mind after I visualized having to scream for help. Defeated, I walked back into the building. I told my sob story to the security guard on duty (who was very polite and did not laugh) and he offered to help, but as he's over 6 feet tall, and we both thought he wouldn't be able to fit either. I went to my department and saw a co-worker leaving for lunch! I told him my story and we walked to the parking lot for him to back out my car for me to get in. As we got closer, he burst into laughter. The minivan had left and the spot was empty! Arrr! I'm going to have to be more particular about choosing my spot in the future!

Other baby news:
We were rejected by 2 pediatricians on Tuesday. This hurt my feelings a little bit, but I was glad that they rejected us on paper and not after meeting us! I wanted to get in near where I worked and had two doctor's in mind at one particular practice. One doctor was female and I heard she was a great doctor and had great shoes-of course she was my first choice as my OBGYN is female and has great shoes and style and is the best! I had called their office close to two weeks ago and never heard back. I had a weird vibe and started thinking about our other (less convenient) options. After I received the voicemail at work on Tuesday, I called another doctor that I had been thinking about. The receptionist was so nice, answered on the first ring, and told me that the doctor was accepting new patients-so we got Ellis's pediatrician on Tuesday, 10/26 within a 5 minute span! I feel really good about how things turned out!

I checked off the last got to do item on my list this week as well! I finally paid our deposit for the newborn pictures-yay!

Also, today I opened a safety deposit box-I feel so grown up!!

This weekend I plan to cross off a few more things off my list, but at this point all the necessary items are done!

Thursday 10/28/2010
35 weeks and 1 day pregnant


I know I have such poor posture!
Also, please forgive my pedicure flip flops!
I used to wear a 5.5 and now I'm in an 8 due to my swollen feet!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your stories!! You two really crack me up. Ellis is going to be a lucky boy to have you two as parents. Hope I get to see you today!!!!
    Gilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great stories! Thanks for sharing :)

    Grace

    ReplyDelete