Sunday, October 10, 2010

You know you're old when...

...something from your childhood that you loved so much takes on such a different meaning than what it once did.

For example, when I was a little girl I loved the movies Dirty Dancing and Shag. Those were my favorite movies ever! I was really obsessed with Dirty Dancing. My parents let me watch this but I had to hide behind the couch during certain parts of the movie. I happily complied just to hear "Nobody puts Baby in the corner" during the final scenes of the film. I guess I knew at 5 that this movie was more adult than other movies my peers were watching. Looking back, Shag was probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite movie. I didn't remember specifics about this one, other than they went to the beach/shore and there was tons of dancing! However, when revisiting this movie during college at the Alpha Chi house, I realized that this one definitely went over my head at the time when it first came out. This movie was pretty racy!

Now I am revisiting children's story books. Some are still very sweet and touching (just like I remember). Others however weird me out a little bit.

For example, I was reading The Cat in the Hat (a book I bought for Ellis). Do you really remember this one? I thought I really liked Dr. Seuss and this one was about a funny cat in a hat! Do you remember the highlights of this story? Two little kids are at home all alone and a creepy cat comes to the door and will not leave! The cat comes into the house and starts inventing imaginary games for them to play! The family goldfish (i.e. the little voice of reason/conscience) tells the kiddos that the cat/stranger should not be there while their mother is out, but the kids ignore the little fish! The cat wrecks the house and then tells the kids not to tell their mother that he had been there! I had heartburn after reading it! Yes, the very last page asks what would you do if this had been you, but the very thought of a stranger in the house who plays creepy games and will not leave and asks your children not to tell their mother/parents about what went on just weirds me out! Maybe my motherly instinct is starting to kick in or maybe my hormones are just weirded out?!

Of course I'll read this book to Ellis (because it's a classic right?), but we'll have some serious discussions about strangers-maybe there is a book for that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment