Sunday, October 3, 2010

1/2 through...

our childbirth classes! We paid $50 for these resourceful classes and I'm pretty sure the hospital should have paid us $50 to attend. Occasionally Brad would look over at me and ask if I'm okay, I guess I start breathing hard or irregularly during different topics. Can you believe on the first class you have to watch the natural childbirthing video?! I told my doctor how traumatized I was after the first class and she said if she had known that we were going she would have told us to skip that class (afterall, I'm gunning for a c-section and will of course have all the drugs they can put into my body). Brad begged not to go to the second class, but that class was on c-sections, epidurals, and pain managment techniques, I felt like that class was a must! We were shown a video of the epidural going in and of course I turned my head and looked at Brad. When I saw him react I knew that needle must be pretty dang long! I have several things I am most nervous about and the epidural is one of them, just because I know that I'll be all alone as the hospital will not allow Brad in the room at that time. We also brought pillows and a blanket to put down on the floor to practice our breathing techniques. The room was dark and some soothing music was on and the breathing was supposed to help calm you down. All I could think about during this part was how hard the floor was and how much it hurt my booty to be sitting on it. I was praying that we could hurry up so I could stand up and get out of there. I think that if the breathing techniques can't help me forget about how uncomfortable I am sitting on a hard floor that they will probably not help me forget how strong my contractions are. If someone could flunk out of birthing, then it would be me.

Why do we have to torture ourselves by going to four classes?! Because Brad wouldn't let me sign up for the one day class which is on Saturdays-boo!

Last week I also went to the b'feeding class all alone. Brad had been dreading this class and he conveniently got tied up at work. I do believe that something legitimately came up, but it was really "convenient." I did feel like a single mom in this class, especially since I am too swollen to wear my rings and I am too miserable to care to wear rings in a bigger size. :) Oh well! The teacher made some good points and I'm hoping I can do this for a little while, but I won't be devastated if it doesn't work out. This class was not as traumatic, the most icky part may have been when we were shown dirty diapers. Fortunately, I've seen 3 newborn dirty diapers and I feel relatively prepared on how they will look (and Brad will be doing the diapers as I'm recooperating in the bed anyways).

Hopefully our remaining two classes will not be as traumatic as the first two!

2 comments:

  1. Don't be afraid of the epidural! If you are delivering at St. Vincent's they'll let Brad in...they told me San couldn't come, but then they never made him leave, they just brought that thing right up and put it in :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there with the classes! The first one is a bit traumatic (especially if you're like me and plan to hit the door asking for an epidural), but the rest of them are somewhat informative...I was especially glad to get a tour of the maternity part of the hospital. Thinking of you, friend! Can't wait to meet our sweet boys!

    ReplyDelete