Tuesday, November 9, 2010

37 week appointment

Today we had our much anticipated "big" doctor's appointment.

I was relieved to know that my blood pressure was still good (per the nurse) as it has been slowly creeping up when I've checked it with an electronic cuff at work. Yesterday it was very high and it had me quite worried, so I was very happy with the reading today! My urine sample was good too so I do not have preeclampsia, I am just swollen.

Speaking of being swollen, the swelling is no longer in my face, hands and feet...it's also in my stomach! When the doctor measured my stomach, I measured several weeks ahead. She was thinking that it could possibly be because Ellis may be big so she ordered an ultrasound. Ellis measured 6 pounds 7 ounces so we determined that my tummy measurement is not due to a 10 lb whopper, just due to swelling! The swelling has also contributed to my 45 pound weight gain. I think I'm a lucky girl that Brad has some meat on his bones because I think my self-esteem would be very low right now knowing that my husband weighed substantially less than me. Plus, Brad's pajama pants and t-shirts have been very useful the past couple of weeks. :)

This appointment they took two vials of blood and I hate to sound like a crybaby, but it hurt! I am such a wuss, as the needle was going in I kept thinking about how much it hurt and how terrible the iv and epidural are going to hurt going in. I'm going to need lots of prayers while we are in the hospital!

The doctor also checked to see if I was dilated which was no walk in the park either. During this check, I laid on the table and wriggled in pain-not so much pain, it was just uncomfortable. Again during this check I kept thinking if this is that uncomfortable, imagine how pushing out a baby is going to feel. AHH! I am 1 cm dilated and 75% effaced. Ellis is at station -2 and is head down and ready. The doctor was pleased with my cervix and the effacement and said that if we were to induce tomorrow she would feel good about it. Unfortunately I had some other business to tend to during our appointment and did not further inquire as to a c-section, nor was the topic brought up again after we found out he was not the size of a small horse.

Since Ellis was so low, we had trouble seeing his little face. We could make out his mouth and his nose, but everything is so smushed, it was hard to see many details. I definitely see why they suggest the 4-D ultrasound between 28-32 weeks. Our little view of him will probably be our last until we meet him!

That's all for now, I hope I can keep on going until my appointment next week!

3 comments:

  1. how great that you are dilated a little and ellis is getting ready to go! try not to worry about pain too much; it will all be over soon. if it makes you feel better, i had a c-section last time and i don't remember the spinal hurting at all. i think i had too many other things on my mind to even think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Julie! I'm hoping that there will be so much going on to distract me that maybe it won't be so bad?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad Ellis is cooperating and not too big. I can't wait to see his cute face!!! Happy early birthday and enjoy the next couple of hours or days or weeks of waiting...sounds like you have everything ready...now it's up to little Ellis :)
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete