Example 1: Lost. I had actually seen a few minutes of Lost Season 1 when it aired on TV, but it seemed too confusing to start in the middle. One night when I was in grad school and Brad was in his 2nd year of law school, he brought over Lost Season 1. We watched the entire DVD set in like 4 days, quite a feat! We would stay up until 2 am watching it, I'm sure my roommates Leah and Erin were thrilled! Brad eventually proposed after an episode of Lost and we enjoyed watching the series come to a close this year.
Example 2: Party Down. We watched Season 1 on our Netflix streaming this year (it aired last year). This 30 minute show was just a smart comedy that you don't see on your regular TV stations. We watched Season 2 which aired this year on Netflix streaming, which was only 1 week behind the actual shows. Unfortunately, this series was not renewed. So sad!
Example 3: Friday Night Lights. Brad and I were hesitant to start watching this. For one it airs on Friday nights at 7 pm. Hello, we used to have a life!! Nowdays, we are able to watch this one as it airs (as we don't have a life). We didn't start watching until Season 3 (again started watching it from the beginning on our Netflix streaming), but we LOVE this show!! The last season is airing now on Directv, but we'll have to wait until next year to catch it with everyone else. :(
Example 4: 30 Rock. We waited until Season 2 to start watching, but were tickled over this one! Unfortunately Netflix streaming no longer airs this show so we are two seasons behind!
Example 5: Mad Men. Love, Love, Love!!! I almost feel like we were boycotting this show due to all the awards it has racked up! We just started Season 1 and are waiting on our disk 3 Season 1 to arrive. This show takes you to another era, an era that seems so glamorous, but so different from the one we live in now (thankfully)! At times Brad and I look at one another in amazement that people/relationships actually functioned like that (well w/fictional characters). In one episode the stay at home mom/wife cooked a lovely, lovely dinner. She lit candles, served her husband a gourmet meal with a smile, pretty dress, and pearls. Note: please do not take offense to that statement my lovely friends who are housewives, it is just something that I personally could not do mainly due to the fact that I can't and hate cooking and am not pleasant most of the time! He in turn surprised her with a new, expensive watch for no apparent reason to her. He took her out to nice dinners, the theater, and she was blissfully ignorant to his late nights at work, drinking, and affairs. Office women were treated like a piece of meat and there were actually elevator operators?! Husbands could call their wives' therapists to get the scoop and pregnant ladies smoked and drank like sailors (this part I liked)! As frustrated as work can be at times (like this week), I'm so grateful that I can go to work and contribute ideas and am respected for the person I am and not ignored or overlooked due to my gender. As much as I wish that Brad would surprise me with jewelry and his wish that I would cook him something other than a grilled cheese, I'm so thankful that we can have real conversations and I can express my opinions without fear.
Enough of my rant, if you know of any good tv shows that we are missing out on, then let me know!
I would love to watch True Blood (we watched 1/2 of Season 1, but then Brad gave up), Modern Family, and Dexter (but Brad says I probably don't have the stomach for this one).
i've never seen 30 rock, i want to watch it on netflix sometime. i have party down in my queue but it's not streaming anymore? i want to see it because it's from the same guy who did veronica mars. we watched all the seasons of that a couple months ago, it's so good. but mad men is THE BEST. we love it and watch it every sunday night.
ReplyDelete