Friday, January 15, 2010

Just Splendid

Finally got around to reading a book that I borrowed back in the fall from a good friend (I promise I will return it! Previously, she had lost her first copy to someone else and bought this book as a replacement.). It's been on my to-read list for quite some time and was approved by my hairdresser who I trust for literary advice. Seriously, she is the best. Started reading last night and didn't (couldn't) put it down until the A.M. Rushed home tonight after work, ate dinner, and finished it. Been working late some this week (well late for me!) and will be going into work this weekend and holiday. At times (during college, studying for the cpa exam, working in public accounting, etc.), I questioned why I continued in accounting after I cried throughout the first semester of my first accounting class. The book did not answer this question, but did put some things in perspective. After reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, which tells the story of two women, one of which is very close to my age, living in Afghanistan during 30 years of turmoil, I realize how lucky I am. Lucky I was able to get an education and attend high school, college, and grad school. Lucky I can work and could support myself financially without having to depend on a man if I had to (I don't want to, but I could if I HAD to). Lucky I can dress however I like and go out whenever I like. Lucky that I don't have to worry that my husband might make me chew on pebbles until my teeth cracked if he didn't like the taste of the dinner I cooked (VERY lucky for me). Lucky that I could pick who I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. Lucky that my parents are encouraging and supportive and wouldn't force me to do things that weren't truly in my best interest. Lucky that my husband or a man couldn't beat me with a belt and punch out my teeth without at least trip to jail. Lucky that my husband asks my opinion and values it. Just lucky. I highly recommend this book. I hope after reading it you'll feel as lucky as me.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for recommending it! I think we all need things to be put into perspective sometimes. It is important that we do realize how lucky we are. It is so easy to to lose sight of that (I do far too often) I'll definitely have to read it! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Now you will need to read the Kite Runner too. It is a similar story, but about two young men growing up in Afghanistan. Very powerful story as well.

    ReplyDelete