We flew out before 6 am on Friday morning and actually landed around 7:30 am. I finally finished packing around 12 am and Ellis woke up shortly after and our alarm went off at 4 am. We were pretty tired and slept on the plane!
Our first time together on a plane since our honeymoon 4 years ago - sort of sad, huh?
Our 6 am view - gorgeous!
After a nauseating ride from the airport in Friday morning 8 am traffic, we staggered into the hotel to drop off our luggage. I guess I hadn't been in a cab in awhile, ours had a 'tv' and debit card machine in the back (this actually turned out to be the only cab with this 'tv'). I felt like a 5 year old getting car sick, for a few minutes I thought it was going to turn into my short lived bachelorette party all over again.
Amazingly, the hotel had a room ready and let us check in which was SO nice!! We were able to rest a few minutes before setting off for our Architectural River Boat Tour (Groupon tickets half off and we both got a free $6 drink). The views were absolutely amazing and allowed us to get our bearings. I would do this again and again (and I actually did before my trip ended).
Our prime spots on the boat
The top of Hotel 71 is where Bruce Wayne's penthouse in the Dark Knight was filmed!
We checked in on Sunday (for my work).
I thought the reflections looked so cool!
At the bottom of the Wrigley Building
From around Navy Pier looking back at the city
Trump Tower
View of Navy Pier
After the boat tour, we went to Lou Malneti's for deep dish pizza, yummy!! Three different people said this was one of their favs! We also had a chocolate chip cookie baked in a mini pizza pan with ice cream - my favorite of the whole trip! After lunch, we went back to charge our phones and rest for 20 minutes before heading out on a Riverwalk History Walking tour. The tour was 2 1/2 hours and started out with the guide handing out a 3 ring binder with 13 tabs to everyone, just like school! It was very interesting and surprisingly Brad enjoyed this much more than me! I actually fell asleep a few times (when we would sit in the sun and the guide would talk). We learned a lot though and I'm glad that we went (another Groupon purchase). After the tour we went to The Purple Pig, it came highly recommend from a co-worker and urban spoon and we were 0.1 miles from it when we decided we were hungry. It was delicious!! After the early dinner we went back to the hotel to rest up for our 11 pm show at The Second City. We haven't been out that late in who knows when!
Outside The Second City - a must do! This was really cool!
The seating is based on your arrival and I guess we timed it just right, we were on the front row! Brad actually got called on to throw out an improv suggestion (the Heat winning the NBA championship and we saw/heard one of the guys say that would be awesome)! Unfortunately, we were not going to pay $41 to have this suggestion acted out; Brad lost out to a bachelorette party skit. Brad also had a guy dance in his face - something about Brad made him an easy target I guess!
I have all these solo pictures of me because Brad didn't want me to ask anyone to take our picture (not because I'm conceited or anything :) ). I'm posting them anyways.
Saturday we slept in until 11 am - yikes!! We ate lunch at Big Bowl (a Chinese/Thai place) and then headed over to the Water Tower building for Rock of Ages. Our seats were AWESOME!! The show was great!! All 80's music, the audience was clapping and singing along!
After the show, we walked across the street to the John Hancock building. We went to the Signature Lounge on the 96th floor so we could grab a drink and didn't have to pay for the observatory.
Outside shot of the John Hancock Building
Godiva Chocolate Martini - delicious; I had a total of three of these on the trip
Our view!! We didn't have a table by the window when we first arrived but I was able to snag one after about 10 minutes. The views were amazing!!!
Weird fact: The ladies room had the most amazing view!!! I told Brad he must go to the mens room and unfortunately he didn't have a view at all!
After the John Hancock $96 bar tab arrived, we decided we should move on. In fact, it would have been cheaper to go to the observatory, haha! But it was totally worth it! We walked to Navy Pier, this was taken at the 'beach' - so cool!!
Once we got to Navy Pier we had to go to Garretts Popcorn. 45 minutes later, I finally had my $13 bag of the Chicago mix (cheddar and caramel) popcorn! I think it was worth the wait!
After we had a Pepsi (icky!!!! this was the worst thing about Chicago, where are all the Coke products?!?!?!?!) and half of the popcorn, we walked around. Brad directed us to the top of the parking deck at Navy Pier which had an amazing view!
Sadly, we didn't ride the ferris wheel. :( The line was sooo long!
We weren't able to stay for the 10:15 pm fireworks at Navy Pier (we were just so tired) so we walked back to the hotel and stopped off and got a slice of State Street Pizza (not deep dish). It was good and hit the spot. Then we ordered 21 Jump Street on pay per view at the hotel - so funny!!!
Sunday morning we checked out of the Marriott and moved to Hotel 71. They actually had a room ready for us early too! The view was amazing!!! We had an end/corner room so had two different views.
View from the room of the river
We went to brunch at a place that Brad found that was delicious but sooo far away! Our cab driver asked Brad if he was a cop and that's how he knew about the place; the driver had lived in the city for years and years and had never been to the restaurant.
After breakfast, we walked around Millenium Park and of course saw the 'bean.' It was a cloudy day so I think the reflection looked really cool!
View from under the bean
We went to the Field Museum (got in for free with our McWane Membership, whoop whoop)!
We got 3 roll tides while in Chicago!
View of the amphitheater where they have concerts in the summer
Buckingham Fountain
The weather was fabulous the whole time!!
Sunday night we went to Gino's East to get some more deep dish pizza, I think this was my favorite. At Gino's and Lou Malnati's the sauce is on top the cheese. Yummy!
At Gino's East, you can write on the wall, next to our table there was a heart and Brad wrote our names. So sweet.
After Gino's we walked back to the JH building for a night view
Monday at lunch, I briefly met Brad at the Bean before saying good-bye (he left Monday night).
Monday night we went to a Cubs game!!
We went to Sluggers a dueling piano bar and they played Sweet Home Alabama! RTR!
Brad said I had to have this beer - so just to be sure I got the full effect, I had two. :)
Tuesday Brad sent me this picture; Ellis wearing his Bulls jersey we bought him at Navy Pier! I really, really missed my little buddy! This was the longest we had been away from him!! I think two nights away is great, but 6 days and 5 nights is too many!! Maybe it will be easier once he can talk even though we 'talked' on the phone every day and we even video chatted. Ellis rotated between my parents and Brad's parents, we are so thankful that they could help with him while we lived it up in the big city. :)
On Tuesday night, we did a sunset cruise on the river and lake. The views were AMAZING!!! I would recommend the lake tour over the river as you got to see the whole skyline at a distance. Perfect end to the trip!!
My flight left Wednesday night at 7:30, one last view of the bean, can you see it?
PS I got car sick AGAIN on the taxi ride back to the airport; the only thing that helped was sleeping.
Good-bye Chicago!! I loved your landmarks, the people (all very friendly), your weather, etc.! I disliked the over abundance of Pepsi (yuck, yuck, yuck), the cab drivers that don't believe in air conditioner, and the fact that I had to leave without any shopping on the Magnificent Mile. :) I will be back!!
Wow! It looks like it was a great trip! I really want to go now!!! I LOVE all the pictures!
ReplyDelete