Monday, January 2, 2012

Whole Milk

Ellis' first birthday was of course very special and momentous.  However, Brad and I were also looking forward to this milestone for another reason...WHOLE MILK!  We were so ready to be done with the formula and honestly thought it would be no big deal to transition E to milk.  Of course E likes to prove his parents wrong every now and then.  I should have known that this would be an ordeal for us because Ellis was VERY fond of his formula.  I guess I didn't think it would be that big of a deal since he had no problem switching from b'milk to Similac Advance to Similac Sensitive but how could I forget the time I tried Enfamil and the baby screamed and pushed the bottle away after two chugs?!  $28 tub of formula wasted!  I had never heard that this was particularly difficult, it wasn't for me (per my mom) and it didn't seem that big of deal to other mom's with kids the same age.  At his 9 month appointment I asked the doctor about whole milk and he said we would discuss at the 12 month appointment.  So of course I cheated around 11 1/2 mos and gave E some whole milk.  To which he spit out and cried and cried.  So I decided to hold off until our 12 mo appointment.

The doc's solution to this refusal was to introduce the milk to stages.  Off we went.  It was discouraging but if it weren't for Brad and his dedication and persistence to this Ellis may still be on formula - go Daddy go!!  Of course, Brad was the one that mixed up the bottles at night so he had some incentive too. :)

Timeline:
Heated Barber's whole milk 1/4 and formula 3/4 - 4 days
Heated Barber's whole milk 1/2 and formula 1/2 - 1 1/2 days before the most upset stomach we've had to date
A little google research and calls to the nurse - 1 day to figure out E may be lactose intolerant
Heated 100% formula per the nurse - 1 week
Heated Lactaid whole milk 1/4 and formula 3/4 - 4 days
Heated Lactaid whole milk 1/2 and formula 1/2 - 5 days
Heated Lactaid whole milk 3/4 and formula 1/4 - 3 days
Cold Lactaid whole milk 3/4 and formula 1/4 - 4 days
Cold 100% Lactaid whole milk - Merry Christmas to us!!!!!!!

We went through about 2 of these each week: 2 x $23 = $46 a week


We are flying through these too, each container lasts about 2 1/2 days: 3 x $4 = $12 a week


Cost Savings:
$46 a week for formula
($12) a week for milk
$34 a week savings
*4 weeks
$136 a month savings

Of course this is a more expensive route as we now have to provide milk for Ellis to drink at school and if he were on whole milk then he could get his milk free and Lactaid alone is a little more $ but it is well worth for him not to have tummy issues.

PS, I celebrated by throwing away our bottle warmer, it was so putrid and terrible that I decided if we do have another baby that I would never use it ever again!  Yuck!!

PPS, Ellis is getting chubby from his whole milk, we've gone from double chins to triple chins!!

No comments:

Post a Comment