- No bottles allowed in this class (Ellis has been only on a sippy at school but takes a bottle at home)
- Start working on giving the paci only when needed - this will pick up more steam around 18 months
- No high chairs. The kids sit at a round table (their height) in these little wooden chairs they can pull out and sit in on their own. Brad and I were AMAZED at seeing this in action: 10 1-2 year olds sitting at a table (not strapped in) eating a snack!!
- No cribs for naps. The kids nap on cots. I didn't believe this one until I saw Ellis sleeping on his cot all curled up and cozy the day we visited! Of course Ellis needed a super cute fleece napper with a flannel blanket (thanks Grace for the tip)!!
- Only one nap a day, right after lunch. The kiddos are supposed to nap from 11:30 - 1:30 (good luck with that)! Ellis favorite teacher told me she thought he would have the hardest time with that because "that boy looooooves his sleep."
- Introduction to the potty. There is a mini, real, ceramic, flushable potty that the kids can use. This class isn't really geared to the potty training, but for those kids that show an interest a potty is available. I doubt Ellis will be potty trained at 2 but the potty is there just in case!
- Handwashing. There is a mini sink with a step stool and soap that the kids use to wash their hands. I find this a little hard to believe, but they swear that the kids do it and love it! They wash their hands after diaper changes and before and after snack and meals. Ellis gets his hands washed now at home after playing in Bella's water and he loves it so maybe they do put this in action?
- Utensils. Towards the end of this class, they use real forks and spoons to eat.
- Outside play. Ellis made some friends with these teachers already and they love taking him outside in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon to play. I guess having a pouty face pressed against a window while beating the window with your hands can get your point across.
We are very excited about Ellis' new transition as we think he's been bored in his old class. Hopefully this new class and his teacher will continue helping him to learn more and more. I'm the 'crazy' room mom for this new class, so wish me luck too!
No comments:
Post a Comment