Tuesday, December 21, 2010

4 Weeks Old



Monday, December 20, 2010, our little man turned 4 weeks old! Four short weeks ago, my water broke at 4 am, fast forward a mere 28 days later and I'm still up at 4 am, this time rocking and feeding my baby!

4 Weeks Notes:
  • Ellis went to the doctor on Friday, December 17, 2010, he was 3 weeks and 4 days old. At this appointment our little man weighed in at 10 pounds and 8 ounces! We were very pleased at his weight as he dropped down to 8 pounds 2 ounces (15 ounces less than his birthweight) when we checked out of the hospital and then weighed 8 pounds 10 ounces at his one week and one day appointment. Ellis measured in at 22 inches, one inch longer than his birth length. He is in the 95% in his height and weight.
  • Ellis has colic! Brad's mom said that Brad also had colic as a baby so I guess we are getting paid back! :) I've read that colic will develop between 2-4 weeks and Ellis was perfectly average, his colic appeared at 3 weeks. Basically, our nights are REALLY long!
  • Ellis also has his days and nights confused. He is a night owl just like his daddy. One night in particular sticks out in my mind, I think I was in the bed for a total of 1 hour between 12-5 am. Who knew I could party like a rockstar?! I could have stayed out at Gallette's a lot longer than I thought!
  • Ellis loves to eat. He can suck down his bottle in 10 minutes. He does not like to burp, but he rarely spits up.
  • We would not be able to function without our Boppy pillow. This will be my signature baby shower gift from now on-sorry to ruin the surprise.
  • Ellis loves his pacifier. I did not intend on offering the paci, but desperate times call for desperate measures! :)
  • Ellis does not like bath time; therefore, he only gets a few a week. Coincidentally, I only get a shower a few times a week. I got my haircut on Saturday (a mere one inch trim) and Brad raved over my hair, I think it was the first time he had seen it washed and styled in a LOOOONG time.
  • I get peed on probably once a day. I would be able to stay dry if I didn't have to slather on the diaper cream.
  • I thought at this point we would be on a schedule, we are on a schedule, it is called trying to survive! We will not be a Baby Wise success story, but it has not been too bad and few tears have been shed by all.
  • I've lost my inch in height. I measured myself at Brad's house on the wall and sure enough, I'm back down to 5' 1/4". BOOO!! Too bad I still can't wear my shoes (although I can wear my 6 1/2 shoes I purchased at 20 weeks) and still can't wear my rings (but they are now able to clear my knuckle). I am most sad about my Tory Burch brown suede high boots I bought last year in a winter clearance sale that I knew I would wear ALL the time in 2010, maybe 2011!
  • Can I just say that the infant car seat is a torture device?! Seat weight 10 pounds+Baby 10 1/2 pounds=pure torture for an out of shape, never had good arm muscles mama!!! This may be worse than a colicly baby-seriously!!!
Four week pictures:

Ellis at 4 weeks


My chunky monkey and me!


Look how brown my hair looks in the light!

3 comments:

  1. So sorry I didn't get to speak for very long AT ALL the other day! I am glad that I got to see that baby though =) I'm glad he's doing great, and maybe that colic problem will go away soon so his mommy can get some sleep. Merry Christmas to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I have lost my cellphone, but I have been meaning to call you! You can make it!!! I promise. The first two months are the hardest, but it gets better. RB had her days and nights mixed up too for a while. The jaundice threw her off. Sleep when he sleeps and soak it up while you can, they get so big so fast. But I know it seems like it will never end right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear, Sweet Friend :) It is so hard at first, but everyone has been there. Leah says two months, but I promise there's even a light at 6 weeks. For the rest of your life, nights are always going to be harder (encouraging I know) - eventually he'll sleep, but there's still sickness (even if just a cold), bad dreams and later on, curfews and college. Some days are longer than others, but in a year it's going to be hard to remember the long newborn days (I think that's why people have more than one child). I would be MORE than happy to keep him for a little while one day so that you can rest. No joke - I'm off on Friday (31) and Monday and Tuesday (3 and 4), please don't hesitate to let me know if I can help! Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete